Prospective Students

Types of Programs

There is a program for everyone! All of the programs listed on our website are approved, ensuring that UConn students receive graded credit for participation in their study abroad program.  The program types include the following:

A member of the UConn faculty or full-time UConn employee directs this program while abroad. You will take classes and live with other UConn students. Faculty-led programs range in duration from three weeks (held during the winter intersession or summer session) to a full semester or a year. UConn operates study abroad programs in London, Paris, Granada, and Cape Town, and runs short-term programs in various locations around the world.

UConn Faculty-Led program costs vary, and most charge program fees rather than UConn tuition. Please refer to each program’s individual budget sheet for the cost breakdown.

A program in which UConn has an official agreement with a foreign university to exchange students on a regular basis. Through an established exchange program, you pay your normal tuition at UConn and enroll directly in classes, share housing with local students and become a regular member of the host university community. You pay room (and if applicable, board) fees directly to the host university. The International Programs Office of the host university will be available to you as a support structure.

Exchanges are a less expensive study abroad alternative because you pay your normal tuition at UConn and tuition-based scholarships are applicable. Because there are limited spots for each exchange, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for application to an exchange program and selection is competitive.

Through partner agreements, students enroll directly in classes at a foreign university, but are not part of a reciprocal exchange program. The International Programs Office will be available for support services. Students do not pay UConn tuition, but instead pay “program fees” and if applicable, room and board fees directly to the foreign university.

Organizations such as CIEE, IES, and IFSA Butler offer opportunities in countries all over the world for as little as two weeks or as long as an academic year. Generally, third party providers give assistance with logistical arrangements (travel, visas, etc.), as well as with the classes and academic components of the student’s study abroad experience. Since there are thousands of third party provider programs in existence, UConn is very careful to approve only those programs that meet our guidelines since you receive graded credit for work completed abroad. In order to receive credit, you must enroll in a program approved by the Education Abroad Office.

You may petition to attend a foreign university or enroll in a study abroad program not on our list. If the program is approved by the Education Abroad Office, you will earn graded credit for your study abroad coursework. To petition, please make an advising appointment.

Please note: Petitions for programs with start or end dates that overlap with UConn semesters will not be approved.