Post-9/11 GI Bill

“G.I. Bill” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

If you receive G.I. Bill educational funding, you have many options for programs abroad. That said, it’s important to understand how your benefits may or may not apply to the cost of your program.

Start by meeting with your Experiential Global Learning Advisor to narrow down, to the best of your ability, which program best fits your academic and professional goals. Be sure to mention to your Advisor that you receive funds from the G.I. Bill. It is also important that you speak with UConn Veterans Affairs and Military Programs for information on how your aid may apply before you commit to a program. Courses that you take at a host institution must be applicable to your UConn degree program.

Funds from the G.I. Bill may be used towards tuition and academic fees but may not be used towards Experiential Global Learning Fees, travel cost (airfare), or insurance. Below is an overview of how G.I. Bill benefits may be used for the different types of Experiential Global Learning programs.

Please note:

  • Any amounts payable are reduced if you are not eligible at the 100% payment tier. Example: If your benefit payment tier is 40%, VA would pay 40% of the housing allowance, 40% of charged tuition and 40% of the books stipend.
  • Students must be enrolled in courses that will apply to their academic program.
  • The programs at the host institution in the host country must be approved.
  • VA cannot pay any fees specific to education abroad unless the student is required to go abroad as part of their academic program.

See also the information sheet distributed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in regards to Experiential Global Learning.

United States Armed Forces Veteran Scholarship

Please go to our Scholarships page to learn more about the United States Armed Forces Veteran Scholarship.