You may submit an online Pass/Fail Request Form for one course within the first two weeks of the start of the fall or spring semester or within one week of the start of summer or winter intersession. Once Education Abroad receives and approves your request form, our staff will check if off as ‘received’ on your application. Education Abroad follows the criteria set forth by the UConn Catalog in terms of pass/fail requirements and restrictions.

Courses on Pass/Fail:

  • Still need to be accredited
  • Still must receive a letter grade from the foreign institution
  • Do not satisfy General Education Requirements, major and minor requirements or any school or college course requirements
  • May not be acceptable when a student changes majors or schools within the University
  • May not be transferable to another institution

Removing a Study Abroad Course from Pass/Fail

If you decide to remove a course previously placed on Pass/Fail, you must do so by the ninth week of the semester abroad by re-submitting the online Pass/Fail Request Form with the “Remove Class from Pass/Fail” section completed and signed. Summer students must do this within the first week of the class.

School and College Restrictions on Pass/Fail

  • In the School of Business, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for any of the departments of the School.
  • In the School of Education, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for courses offered in the School of Education which are required for certification as a teacher.
  • In the School of Engineering, no course taken on Pass/Fail may be counted for credit toward graduation.
  • In the School of Pharmacy, no specifically required courses (all courses for which no alternate choice is given in the curricular listings) can be taken on Pass/Fail.
  • In the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture students may only place one course on the Pass/Fail option.