Pass/Fail & Course Withdrawals Abroad

You may submit an online Pass/Fail Request Form for one study abroad course within the first two weeks of the start of the fall or spring semester course, or within one week of the start of a summer or winter intersession study abroad course. Once the Education Abroad Office receives and approves your request form, it will be checked off as 'received' on your study abroad application. Education Abroad follows the criteria set forth by the UConn Catalog in terms of pass/fail requirements and restrictions.Courses on Pass/Fail:

  • Still need to be accredited
  • Still must receive a letter grade from the foreign institution
  • Do not satisfy General Education Requirements, major and minor requirements or any school or college course requirements
  • May not be acceptable when a student changes majors or schools within the University
  • May not be transferable to another institution

Removing a Study Abroad Course from Pass/Fail

If a student, having placed a study abroad course on Pass/Fail, decides to remove it from Pass/Fail, the student must do so by the ninth week of the “study abroad” semester by resending the online Pass/Fail Request Form. Summer study abroad students must do this within the first week of the class.

School and College Restrictions on Pass/Fail

  • In the School of Business, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for any of the departments of the School.
  • In the School of Education, students may not elect the Pass/Fail option for courses offered in the School of Education which are required for certification as a teacher.
  • In the School of Engineering, no course taken on Pass/Fail may be counted for credit toward graduation.
  • In the School of Pharmacy, no specifically required courses (all courses for which no alternate choice is given in the curricular listings) can be taken on Pass/Fail.
  • In the Ratcliffe Hicks School of Agriculture students may only place one course on the Pass/Fail option.

Students wishing to withdraw from a class while abroad after the pass/fail period ends, must do so by the 9th week of classes. This withdraw form should be used if your program does not allow for a course withdrawal. If your program allows for withdrawal from a course after the second week of classes, you should file the appropriate paperwork with your study abroad program/university. If your program does not allow for course withdrawal then please complete the online Study Abroad Course Withdraw Form. UConn Education Abroad will reach out to you directly over email when we receive your form.

You are allowed to do this with one class while abroad. However, In many cases you will need to stay enrolled in the course and fail it due to student visa regulations and needing to be enrolled full time. Once your grades come back to Education Abroad, this course withdraw form will indicate that the course you failed should be a ‘W’ on your transcript and not graded credit. Further information on UConn’s policy on ‘W’ credit for courses can be found here: