Parents & Guardians

Education Abroad Policies & Procedures


Students can apply online to study abroad through UConn if they meet the program's GPA requirement and the perquisites. The application requires a $25 fee, one or more essays, two academic recommendations (waived for some programs), and may also require that students complete an additional application (for exchange or third party programs). The study abroad application is available on the individual program page via the "Apply Now" button.
Application deadlines are generally as follows:
Summer programs: March 15
Fall/Academic Year programs: April 1
Winter and Spring programs: October 1
Application deadlines, GPA requirements, and other prerequisites are viewable on individual program pages under "Details." Please note that some programs may have early deadlines.
Getting Accepted
Students are notified over email if/when they are accepted into a study abroad program and are given seven (7) days to decide whether or not they would like to commit to participate in the program. Students must digitally sign the Student Contract within their applications in order to be considered "committed" to participate in a program. Education Abroad reminds students to commit after 7 days of being accepted, and students who do not commit after 7 days (without extenuating circumstances) will have their applications withdrawn. View the Student Contract.
Please note that some programs may have enrollment caps and Education Abroad may not be able to accept all qualified applicants into a program. In these instances, Education Abroad makes an effort to accommodate students who were not selected by offering them a place in another program.

Credits & Grades
All courses taken on an approved study abroad program receive UConn course numbers, UConn credits, and UConn grades, which appear on students' transcripts.  All grades are factored into students' GPAs. Students cannot choose which study abroad courses they would like to appear on their UConn transcripts, and which they do not want to appear.
  • Coursework completed abroad will appear as graded credit on students' UConn transcripts.
  • Grades issued by host universities will be converted to a US scale after the foreign transcript is received by Education Abroad. Many universities have different grading systems.
  • Credit systems also vary from country to country, and therefore, the number of credits that students take at a foreign university may be different from what they ultimately receive at UConn.
  • To receive credit for an internship, the internship experience has to be part of a graded course listed on the transcript from the foreign institution; and before the student leaves UConn, he/she must have approval for that internship credit from an academic department faculty evaluator.

Students participating on third party, exchange, and direct enroll programs must follow the Course Accreditation process to receive their credits and grades from abroad. Students participating in faculty-led programs do not need to follow the Course Accreditation process as their courses are already pre-approved to transfer back to UConn. Credits and grades from faculty-led programs are posted automatically with no additional requirements on the part of the student.
Please note that it can take up to 2 months after the end of a program for grades to arrive at UConn Education Abroad and be posted to your UConn transcript because universities in other countries do not necessarily operate on the same schedule as UConn. Once the grades reach our office, we will forward them to the Registrar quickly, but unfortunately we cannot predict when our overseas partners will send them.
For information on pass/fail and/or withdrawing from a course abroad, please visit this page.

Paying for a Program
All types of study abroad programs require fees charged by UConn including the Study Abroad Fee, Technology Fee, and Enrollment Fee. Some programs also charge program fees, tuition, health insurance, airfare, and/or housing. For the exact fees that are charged by UConn for a specific program, please visit the program's individual webpage and click "Finances" to view the program's budget sheet. Students receive an email from the Education Abroad office when their bills have been posted in the Student Admin system. This occurs no less than two weeks before fee bills are due.
The following are approximate UConn fee bill due dates for each study abroad term. These due dates are subject to change every year.
Summer programs: April 25
Fall/Academic Year programs: August 1
Winter programs: December 15
Spring programs: January 10
Students participating in third party or direct enroll programs are usually responsible for paying UConn a few hundred dollars in enrollment and study abroad fees. All third party/direct enroll program participants receive a separate bill with the bulk of the program charges from their program provider. Please contact the program provider for details on when these bills are available and when payment is due.
Students participating in exchange programs will be charged fees and tuition on their UConn fee bills. Billing and payment for housing will vary based on program and housing arrangement, but students should expect to pay for housing separately, through either their host institution or housing provider.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
The types and amounts of financial aid that can be applied towards the cost of a study abroad program depend on the type of program. View the Financial Aid page for specifics on how financial aid applies to study abroad.
All financial aid is disbursed to the UConn Bursar’s Office, and will be used to pay any outstanding allowable charges. A refund check will then be created for any remaining amount. The earliest date a refund will be available is the first day of classes at UConn each semester. Students must complete the entire financial aid process to receive a refund. Refund checks can be requested online. Direct Deposit (or “e-refund”) allows students to have their excess funds from financial aid or other sources deposited directly into a checking account instead of receiving a paper check. (Note: excludes Parent PLUS loans unless the parent has designated funds to go to the student; U.S. bank accounts only.) Students may sign up for Direct Deposit by logging into their Student Administration accounts and navigating to the ‘Finances’ section. They must then select “Enroll or Edit Direct Deposit Information” and follow the steps provided.
Many scholarships are available for studying abroad. Please encourage your student to apply for as many as possible.
Refund Policy
Students who commit to study abroad programs also digitally sign the Education Abroad Refund Policy. Visit this page for the full policy text. In summary, the $25 application is non-refundable, as is the $475 Study Abroad Fee. If a student withdraws from a study abroad program after he/she has been accepted but before the program begins, we will refund any payment other than the Study Abroad Fee and application fee, up to the amount which international counterpart institutions are willing to refund to UConn Education Abroad.
Withdrawing From a Program
Students who wish to withdraw their study abroad applications before signing the Student Contract are free to do so at any time. Students who wish to withdraw from a program after committing are subject to the Withdrawal Policy and must complete the Withdrawal form. An Assistant Director will reach out directly to students who complete the Withdrawal form. Students and their families should carefully review the Student Contract and contact Education Abroad if they are thinking about withdrawing from a program after committing.

Health Insurance
Student health and safety are our top priorities. In order to ensure that students have appropriate coverage, UConn Education Abroad has contracted with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for study abroad health insurance. This insurance does not replace health insurance that study abroad participants may already have, but supplements it so as to cover health care–related expenses that may arise while they are outside the United States. Students may be required to purchase this insurance as part of the program fees. If this insurance is included with a program, it cannot be waived. For more information on CISI, visit this page.
Prescriptions and Medications
If your student takes prescription medicine, he/she should research whether it is available in their host country and bring a copy of the prescription for the generic name of the drug. In developed countries, he/she will need to take only an initial supply of the medication; in most developing countries, they will want to take a supply that will last their entire stay. Students must make sure all medications are in their carry-ons.
If your student regularly uses any over-the-counter remedies, he/she may want to take an initial or full-year’s supply. For customs purposes, students must take all medicines in their original containers. For more information and tips on medication, visit this page on Counseling and Mental Health’s website.
For more information on health/safety tips and responsibilities, visit our Health & Safety page.
Students participating in all UConn study abroad programs are required to follow the laws of the country in which they are travel and abide by the UConn Code of Conduct. Illegal, irresponsible drinking and/or misbehaving while drinking are violations of the University’s policy and students will face consequences.

In an Emergency
In the event of an emergency involving a UConn student abroad during Connecticut business hours, please contact UConn Education Abroad at (860) 486-5022. For any emergency occurring outside of business hours, please call the UConn Police Department at (860) 486-4801. UConn Police are available 24 hours/day. When calling from abroad, please remember to add 001 to the phone number (001 + 860 + 486 + 4801).
In a Medical Emergency
Students are instructed to go immediately to the nearest medical facility and contact the local institution, organization or Resident Director of the program in which they are studying. If he/she has CISI Worldwide Health Insurance they should:

Call AXA ASSISTANCE at (855) 327-1411 (in U.S.), (312) 935-1703 (call collect from outside the U.S.)


Team Assist ID # is 15 GLM N10876795-SA

This information is also listed on the front of their insurance cards.
An emergency is an occurrence or situation that poses a genuine and sometimes immediate risk to the physical or mental health, safety, and wellbeing of program participants. Such events of occurrences may include, but are not limited to civil disturbance, natural disaster, severe or prolonged illness or injury requiring hospitalization, disciplinary action, emotional or behavioral disorders, illegal actions (i.e. drug use), and serious academic issues.
Notification Procedures
In the case of an emergency, students are instructed to contact their Resident Director or appropriate on-site staff. The on-site staff in turn will contact UConn Education Abroad during regular business hours or UConn Police (24 hours/day). If you need to call yourself, please note that UConn Education Abroad is open between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM EST, Monday – Friday. Please take time to calculate the time difference between your location and Storrs, CT. In case of an emergency occurring outside of normal business hours, please call UConn Police at (860) 486-4801. If you can only make one call, you should call UConn Police as they have instructions to accept collect calls, and then to call a member of the Study Abroad Emergency Response Team until they reach someone who can call you back immediately.
If it is necessary for you or your student to contact UConn Education Abroad or UConn Police, please provide as much of the following information as possible:

Your name

Program of study and exact location

Date and time of occurrence/condition

Description of occurrence/condition

Actions taken

Return contact information
Natural Disasters and Political/Social Emergencies
In the event of a political, social or natural emergency, UConn Education Abroad will be in close contact with the on-site staff and/or UConn Resident Director of the program. All on-site staff and UConn staff will coordinate efforts to work with local authorities and the Consulate or Embassy nearest the program location. Assistance will be managed in coordination with our medical and security insurance providers. In the unlikely event of an evacuation due to a recognized state of emergency, transportation to the nearest safe haven or back to the United States will be covered for students insured by CISI.
Emergencies at Home
Ensure you know how to get in touch with your student while they are away. We encourage students to have conversations with their families before they leave to discuss what they will do in the event that there is a serious emergency in their family. We advise students to be sure that their Resident Directors, program coordinators or host university coordinators, as well as UConn Education Abroad, have complete contact information, and to inform both if there has been a family emergency.
U.S. Consulates and Embassies
U.S. Embassy personnel provide routine citizenship services (such as passport replacement) and emergency assistance for American citizens abroad. They also provide assistance to Americans abroad and their families in case of death, serious medical emergencies, and legal difficulties. Students should locate the US Embassy or Consulate closest to their program location by visiting Go to The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs ( for information about travel warnings and other international travel services.

Group Flight Policy
Some faculty-led study abroad programs include arranged group airfare. By choosing to participate in one of these programs, students are agreeing to also participate in the group flight arrangements to and from their program’s host country organized by UConn Education Abroad. Should they have a viable reason (e.g. a medical excuse) for making other flight arrangements, they are required to complete the Petition to Opt Out of a Group Flight Form. This petition must be submitted within 10 days of receiving their notification of acceptance into their program. If they are petitioning to opt out of the group flight arrangements and fail to make the request within the 10-day window, they will be responsible for either: 1.) paying a $100 loss of deposit as a result of a seat being held for them on the group flight, or 2.) the entire cost of the ticket purchased in their name if UConn Education Abroad is unable to cancel their seat at the time of notification of withdrawal.
Students With Disabilities
Students registered with the UConn Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) are eligible to receive accommodations. If a student is registered with CSD and would like to receive accommodations while abroad, they must meet with their CSD Disability Specialist and Education Abroad Advisor regarding the accommodations they are requesting. They must also complete the Accommodation Request Form at the time that they commit to their education abroad program (accessible inside of the study abroad application). CSD and Education Abroad makes all reasonable efforts to accommodate students with disabilities.