International Students


We encourage all international students, foreign nationals, and non-U.S. passport holders to go abroad while at UConn, but want to make sure that you verify if participating on a program abroad will affect your US Student Visa Status, US immigration status, or your eligibility to re-enter the US upon return.

  • Set up an appointment with Education Abroad (
  • Notify your Education Abroad Advisor about the following:
    • Current citizenship status & country of origin
    • Desired study abroad destination
    • Duration of program
  • Visit the International Students and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) (
    • Review the ISSS Off-Campus Study page to learn more about how your program may affect your visa and SEVIS record
    • Confirm all requirements, restrictions or deadlines
    • Ensure you know about all required documentation you will need to bring with you while studying abroad
  • Be sure to maintain any minimum unit requirements while studying abroad (undergrads must take the equivalent of 12 US credits to be considered a full time student)
  • Research student Visa requirements and deadlines for the study abroad country you plan on visiting
    • Some countries require you to renew your US Visa before you can obtain their study abroad Visa
    • Renewing your US visa may require returning to your home country either before or after your study abroad program

Things to consider

  • Will you study abroad for more than 6 months?
  • Do you have the minimum unit requirements for your US Student Visa?
  • Will you finish your UConn degree requirements while abroad?
  • Are there military service requirements in the country where you will study?
  • Should you apply for a study abroad Visa in the US or in your home country?


  • PLAN EARLY! At least 9 months to 1 year prior to your expected study abroad start date!
  • Students paying non-resident tuition fees will find that the Exchange Programs are most affordable, since you will pay the regional rate rather than full out of state rate. Many of the semester/year-long UConn Faculty led programs are also comparable to the out of state cost at UConn.
  • Always check with the UConn SEVIS officer to determine how the program you are going on will affect any SEVIS requirements. (
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) students who are considering going abroad should consult with an immigration attorney to discuss the process and evaluate the potential risks before applying for a study abroad program.