Student Life in Storrs

Student Life


Accommodation and Campus Life

We recommend that all exchange students live on campus in residence halls. On-campus living is an important part of American university life, and by living on campus, you become an active member of the UConn community and have access to all the social, recreational, and cultural events that take place.

All dorm rooms are equipped with a bed, a mattress, a desk and chair, and a closet. In small units, doubles are 154 sq. ft. (11×14). Elsewhere, double rooms range in size up to 180 sq. ft. Most undergraduate dormitory rooms share bathroom facilities with other residents on the floor. Refrigerators, microwaves and televisions are not provided in dorm rooms.

  • Traditional Housing – Shared bedrooms with convenient access to dining halls and campus facilities. A campus meal plan is required.
  • Suites – Shared bedrooms, often with shared living spaces, with convenient access to dining halls and campus facilities. A campus meal plan is required.
  • Apartments – Independent-style housing that has shared bedrooms and living spaces (including full kitchens). You are NOT required to have a campus meal plan.

For more information about housing and costs please visit the Residence Life website.

Please note that exchange students are not required to pay the Room Reservation Fee or the Acceptance Fee.

Once you have applied for housing, you will be contacted by Residence Life with instructions on how to complete the room selection process. The housing selection process takes place in early December for spring and calendar year exchange students and in late May for fall and academic year exchange students.

Residential Life cannot guarantee singles or requests for specific learning communities. The roommate experience is also considered an essential part of American university life, and almost all exchange students are paired with a roommate since there are very few single rooms on campus.


Campus Meal Plans

There are eight dining halls on campus with varying hours and dietary accommodations. Your meal plan (if you have one) is electronically encoded on your UConn student identification card (One Card) which you will need to provide when entering the dining facilities. Every on-campus meal plan permits unlimited access to the dining halls.
All students residing in on-campus housing are required to purchase a meal plan except residents assigned to apartment-style housing. You can choose one of the three meal plans that range between US$2,855.00 and US$23,154.00 per semester. There is also an option for a commuter meal plan for US$290.00 for 25 meals for those who choose to live in apartments or off-campus. Selection of the meal plan is done during the housing application process. More information about meal plans can be found on the Dining Services website.



All international students are eligible to participate in UConn Storrs campus activities and events. Students are strongly urged to take part in campus life and join recreational activities on and off campus.
The Student Union is the hub for student activities and serves many different purposes. There are different weekend trips and other activities scheduled through the Student Union Board of Governors, as well as other clubs and activities around campus. The Union has a food court, movie theatre, hair salon, ice cream shop, convenience store, quiet places to study, relaxing areas with televisions and various administrative offices.
There are clubs for every interest, from sports clubs, to professional societies, service organizations, interest clubs, even clubs such as the ‘Free-thinker’s Club’.

In addition, for students interested in sports/athletics, UConn has an excellent Student Recreation Facility/Field House, which has a large selection of workout equipment and athletic activities, including an Olympic-sized swimming pool, an indoor track, and a wide variety of fitness classes. Exchange students interested in taking advance of the UConn Recreation center can apply for a membership. Other activities include ice skating at our indoor skating rink and horseback riding or polo at our equestrian facility. For those interested in team sports, there are many different types of intramural sports available through the Campus Recreation office at the Field House.



Student Health Services

UConn has excellent health care facilities available for students. Information about services available to students, insurance and Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the Student Health Services website.