Prepare in advance for an emergency. Know and keep with you at all times the contact information for local first responders, your program’s support staff, CISI Insurance, and the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate (http://www.usembassy.gov).
Contact Local First Responders Immediately
- Assess the emergency situation.
- Contact any local police, fire departments, hospitals, clinics, or pharmacies, as needed.
- In a medical emergency, contact a local hospital or clinic immediately. Ensure that the injured individual can access an emergency room.
- In a security emergency, contact the local police immediately. Find a safe location and shelter in place.
- Contact your program’s local support staff, as needed.
Contact CISI Insurance
Most participants on Education Abroad programs are enrolled in policies with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). If you have CISI Worldwide Health Insurance:
Call AXA ASSISTANCE at (855) 327-1411 (in U.S.), (312) 935-1703 (call collect from outside the U.S.)
Your Team Assist ID and additional information is also listed on the front of your CISI insurance card.
Report an Incident to UConn
- Call the UConn Police Department at (860) 486-4801. UConn Police are available 24 hours a day. When calling from abroad, remember to add 001 to the number (001 + 860 + 486 + 4801).
- Submit a referral to Community Standards. Maintain a written log of the emergency so that you may submit this information in the report.
- Contact Education Abroad directly at (860) 486-5022 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that we are only open 8:00AM to 5:00PM Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
If one or more students are a threat to themselves or others, please complete a Care Team Referral with UConn Community Standards at https://studentcareteam.uconn.edu/.
If an individual has experienced sexual assault, intimate partner violence, or stalking, please file a Title IX report with the Office of Institutional Equity at https://titleix.uconn.edu/.
In the Event of an Emergency at Home
If an emergency occurs at home while you are abroad:
- Contact your program’s local support staff to notify them of your intended actions.
- Contact CISI or your insurance company. CISI offers trip interruption and other emergency benefits that you may activate to support you.
- Contact UConn to report your situation.