Health & Safety

Emergencies Abroad

In an Emergency

In the event of an emergency involving a UConn student abroad during Connecticut business hours, please contact UConn Education Abroad at (860) 486-5022.  For any emergency occurring outside of business hours, please call the UConn Police Department at (860) 486-4801. UConn Police are available 24 hours/day. When calling from abroad, please remember to add 001 to the phone number (001 + 860 + 486 + 4801).

In a Medical Emergency

Go immediately to the nearest medical facility and contact the local institution, organization or Resident Director of the program in which you are studying.  If you have CISI Worldwide Health Insurance:

Call AXA ASSISTANCE at (855) 327-1411 (in U.S.), (312) 935-1703 (call collect from outside the U.S.)


Your Team Assist ID # is 15 GLM N10876795-SA

This information is also listed on the front of your insurance card.


To ensure that in urgent or serious situations, UConn students receive prompt, appropriate and thorough care, intervention or referral from both program staff and UConn officers.


An emergency is an occurrence or situation that poses a genuine and sometimes immediate risk to the physical or mental health, safety, and wellbeing of program participants.  Such events of occurrences may include, but are not limited to civil disturbance, natural disaster, severe or prolonged illness or injury requiring hospitalization, disciplinary action, emotional or behavioral disorders, illegal actions (i.e. drug use), and serious academic issues.

Notification Procedures

In the case of an emergency, students are instructed to contact their Resident Director or appropriate on-site staff.  The on-site staff in turn will contact UConn Education Abroad during regular business hours or UConn Police (24 hours/day).  If you need to call yourself, please note that UConn Education Abroad is open between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM EST, Monday – Friday. Please take time to calculate the time difference between your location and Storrs, CT.  In case of an emergency occurring outside of normal business hours, please call UConn Police at (860) 486-4801.  If you can only make one call, you should call UConn Police as they have instructions to accept collect calls, and then to call a member of the Study Abroad Emergency Response Team until they reach someone who can call you back immediately.

If it is necessary for you to contact UConn Education Abroad or UConn Police, please provide as much of the following information as possible:

Your name

Your program of study and exact location

Date and time of occurrence/condition

Description of occurrence/condition

Actions taken

Return contact information

Natural Disasters and Political/Social Emergencies

In the event of a political, social or natural emergency, UConn Education Abroad will be in close contact with the on-site staff and/or UConn Resident Director of the program.  All on-site staff and UConn staff will coordinate efforts to work with local authorities and the Consulate or Embassy nearest the program location.  Assistance will be managed in coordination with our medical and security insurance providers. In the unlikely event of an evacuation due to a recognized state of emergency, transportation to the nearest safe haven or back to the United States will be covered for students insured by CISI.

Emergencies at Home

People need to know how to get in touch with you while you are away.  You should have a conversation with your family before you leave to discuss what you will do in the event that there is a serious emergency in your family.  Please be sure that your Resident Director, program coordinator or host university coordinator, as well as UConn Education Abroad, have your complete contact information, and inform both if there has been a family emergency.

U.S. Consulates and Embassies

U.S. Embassy personnel provide routine citizenship services (such as passport replacement) and emergency assistance for American citizens abroad.  They also provide assistance to Americans abroad and their families in case of death, serious medical emergencies, and legal difficulties.  You should locate the US Embassy or Consulate closest to your program location by visiting   Go to The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs ( for information about travel warnings and other international travel services.