Faculty & Advisors

Advising Students


Students can receive credits for studying abroad in two different ways: through Education Abroad and through the Transfer Admissions Office. By going through Education Abroad, students will remain registered at UConn, as if they were on campus, and therefore receive UConn letter-graded credit. The credit will count toward graduation and may satisfy major, minor, and General Education requirements. In addition, students can receive federal financial aid if they are registered at UConn and through Education Abroad. They may also study abroad their last semester and meet the final semester residency requirements.

Alternatively, if students elect to try to get credit through the Transfer Admissions Office, they must effectively drop out of UConn for the semester and therefore do not meet the final semester residency requirements. They will only receive transfer credit that may or may not be recognized for major credit. Students will have to be re-admitted to UConn under a different catalog year.

We recommend that you review our website, especially the information for prospective students. Here you will find information about the types of programs offered and approved by Education Abroad, eligibility requirements, and financial aid information. You can click on “Program Search” to search for individual programs.Please encourage your advisees to plan ahead and research possible options as early as their first year. The purpose is twofold: it gives them a vision of which study abroad programs might work for them in different semesters, and it helps them to develop a financial plan/strategy to meet the costs of study abroad.

The University of Connecticut has many new study abroad opportunities and exchange agreements with highly ranked universities around the globe and we encourage students, including science, business, and engineering students, to take courses abroad in their major. For a list of exchange institutions, please go to “Program” on our website and pick “Exchange”.

You can also encourage students to take as many electives as possible while they are abroad on either an exchange, UConn faculty-led program, or third party program. One of the objectives of a study abroad experience is to learn about cultural values and intellectual approaches not available at UConn. Foreign Study numbers for each department have been created to accommodate “non-matching” coursework. At the very least the Foreign Study numbered courses count toward graduation as electives.

You can also suggest to students that “related” courses for each major are generally easier to fulfill than specifically numbered, required courses in the major.

The first thing you will note is that the student may have selected one or more courses that have already been approved by an academic department at UConn (under “Course Equivalents” listed in each program brochure on the Education Abroad website).Second, with the help of your advisee, you may follow links to the course offerings at the foreign institution to see if there are courses that could fit into your advisee’s plan of study. Your advisee will then send the syllabi of the selected courses to the appropriate departmental faculty evaluators for accreditation.

Tell your advisee to read the Academics section of our website. They must send a syllabus and course description to the appropriate departmental evaluators.
It means that credit has been assigned to course material that does not exactly match a UConn course. A student may take many or all Foreign Study numbered courses during his study abroad term. Each foreign study numbered course will be listed on your advisee’s transcript with the original foreign course title. Example: Foreign Study: Singapore’s Foreign Policy.
The decision is made by each School/College. Check the Academics section of on our website.
Yes, they may need to have the advisor bar lifted before they can register for the following semester’s courses.