UConn Education Abroad Refund Policy
Careful planning goes into developing study abroad programs. As a result, UConn Education Abroad incurs a number of expenses overseas well before you arrive in your study abroad destination. Some expenses, paid shortly after you agree to participate in the program, are based on the exact number of students who have confirmed participation in the program. Other expenses are incurred on the basis of a certain number of students who participate in a program. For these reasons, if you withdraw from a program after we have paid an expense on your behalf, we will be forced to pass the cost on to you. Please bear the following in mind:
- The $25.00 Application Fee is non-refundable.
- The $475.00 Study Abroad Fee is only refundable if you are not accepted by the host institution, e.g., a foreign university or third-party study abroad provider, or if UConn Education Abroad cancels the program.
- If you withdraw from a study abroad program after you have been accepted but before the program begins, we will refund any payment other than the Study Abroad fee and application fee, up to the amount which international counterpart institutions are willing to refund to UConn Education Abroad. The later you withdraw, the less likely we will be able to get a refund. If UConn Education Abroad has already paid or encumbered funds on your behalf, you will have to pay the amount paid by UConn Education Abroad Office unless and until the third party reimburses us or releases us from the financial obligation.
- If you withdraw from a UConn Education Abroad program after the program officially begins, you will not be refunded any of the program costs, including housing, unless and until the third party reimburses us or releases us from our financial obligation.
- UConn Education Abroad advises you to purchase fully refundable airline tickets and/or trip cancellation insurance to safeguard yourself against losses or penalties should a program be canceled or its dates changed. UConn Education Abroad assumes no responsibility for such losses or penalties.
- If you withdraw from a study abroad program after you commit due to your failure to comply with visa requirements in a timely manner or your failure to obtain the required passport or visa in time for your program, UConn Education Abroad will not refund any of the program costs unless and until the third party reimburses us or releases us from our financial obligation.
- If you are on financial aid and withdraw from a study abroad program, you must contact the Office of Financial Aid immediately, as it may affect your financial aid package.
Any request for an exception to this policy must be made in writing to the Director of Education Abroad.
Withdraw From a Program
If you were accepted to an Education Abroad program, have not yet committed, and would like to decline your acceptance, you can do so by logging into your study abroad application and declining your offer.
If you have committed to your program by digitally signing the Student Contract, but would like to withdraw, please complete the form below. Please note that you are subject to the Education Abroad Withdrawal Policy, which you signed as part of the Student Contract.
- I understand that upon digitally signing this Student Contract I have committed myself to participating in this study abroad program. I understand the non-refundable Study Abroad fee of $475 will be placed on my UConn fee bill.
- I understand and agree that if I withdraw from my study abroad program, I must notify UConn Education Abroad in writing about my withdrawal. This written notification must include my reasons for withdrawal. I also understand that my withdrawal is effective only upon that the date of receipt of written notification by UConn Education Abroad.
- Please refer to the UConn Education Abroad Refund Policy for information on fees that you may be responsible for in addition to the $475 Study Abroad fee.
- I understand that I am responsible for informing all other relevant officials of my study abroad program (e.g. resident/program director, host institution, etc.) about my withdrawal.
Withdrawing After the Start of the Program
I understand that if I am participating in an academic year, fall, or spring UConn Education Abroad program and I choose to withdraw or I am dismissed from my program after the start of the UConn semester, I will also be withdrawn from the University of Connecticut. I understand that I must contact the UConn Dean of Students Office to determine my status as a student and/or the process for readmission to the University of Connecticut.
Please note: Your withdrawal from your study abroad program is final and irreversible.